Shop chrysocolla HERE
Keep reading to discover more about chrysocolla
- Mineralogy and geology*
- Metaphysical, Spiritual and Healing** Properties***
- Common Associations
Mineralogy and Geology of Chrysocolla
Mineral formula: Cu2-xAlx(H2-xSi2O5)(OH)4 · nH2O, x < 1
Crystal system: orthorhombic
Crystal habit: typically found as glassy botryoidal or rounded masses or bubbly crusts, and as vein fillings. Any acicular or fibrous chrysocolla "crystals" are pseudomorphs.
Color: most commonly green, blue-green, or blue
Streak: light green
Luster: vitreous, waxy or earthy
Diaphaneity: translucent to opaque
Cleavage: none observed
Fracture: irregular/uneven, subconchoidal
Moh’s scale hardness: 2 ½ - 3 ½
Specific gravity: 1.93 – 2.4
Named after: The name was first used by Theophrastus in 315 B.C. and comes from the Greek "chrysos", meaning "gold," and "kolla", meaning "glue," in allusion to the name of the material used to solder gold. André-Jean-François-Marie Brochant de Villiers revived the name in 1808.
Geological occurrence: a secondary or tertiary mineral found in the oxidation zone of copper deposits, often encrusting or replacing earlier secondary minerals.
Spiritual, Metaphysical and Healing Properties
Chrysocolla is a grounding, stabilizing and balancing stone. It works with the lower through the heart chakras to revitalize and calm, easing heartache and providing renewed strength. It is held to enhance health and physical vitality and the ability to initiate action. It promotes harmony by assisting with release of negative emotion. The more translucent varieties, and those varieties intergrown with quartz, increase the impact of this stone and the rapidity of its effects.
According to Judy Hall (see below), chrysocolla offers the power of tranquility.
- Chakra – chrysocolla provides soothing and revitalization to base, sacral, solar plexus and throat chakras; it supports the throat chakra .
- Numerology – vibrates to the number 5
- Zodiac – Gemini, Virgo, Taurus
- Birthstone – no traditional associations, but due to similarity in appearance to turquoise can be used for December
- Wedding Anniversary – no traditional associations, but due to similarity of appearance to turquoise can be used for the 11th
* Mineralogical information is from mindat.org
** Always consult with your medical professional for any physical or long-term healing issues.
*** Metaphysical properties come from:
Love Is in the Earth (1995) Melody, Earth-Love Publishing House, 726 pp.
The Crystal Bible, A Definitive Guide to Crystals (2003) Judy Hall, Walking Stick Press, 399 pp.
Crystal Muse (2017) Heather Askinosie and Timmi Jandro, Hay House, 285 pp.
Crystal Gridwork (2018) Kiera Fogg, Weiser Books, 128 pp.